The Parish dedicated to St. Sergius, Hiegumen of Radonezh and of all Russia was founded as a result of the decision of the Holy Synod of Russian Orthodox Church on December, 29th, 1998.
Initially the Parish operated from a small house at 106 Eastbourne Road, Carlswald, 1685 Midrand, where a house church with regular services was arranged. The professor of the St.-Petersburg Theological academy Archpriest Sergey Rasskazovsky was appointed by the Holy Synod as the first Rector. He organized the Russian Orthodox community, found a suitable site for the construction of a church, and also initiated fund raising for the purchase of a site. By September, 2000, the ground site has been bought in Midrand, a suburb of Johannesburg, halfway between Johannesburg and Pretoria and a St.-Petersburg architect, Jury Kirs, was appointed to design and oversee the construction of both the Church and the Church Complex.